Welcome to My Blog! Please feel free to email me @ karinaabadnj@gmail.com

Monday, October 4, 2010

Latino Hoboken Eatery: Ultramarinos

Big brother Zafra with sister Cucharamama have a new(er) addition to the family - Ultramarinos.

I've driven by this little eatery/cafe for months and every time I say to myself, "gotta try that place." So Saturday, before an appointment, I hit the brakes and finally popped in with my hubby!

The space itself looks like the type of eclectic chic you'd see on the lower east side somewhere. The menu is all Latino heaven including their selection of desserts displayed on the front counter - devilsh!

My husband and I took a browse through the menu and quickly landed on a Spanish Tortilla sandwich prepared with traditional potatoes and some cheese and black bean. We each also ordered an ice coffee. The gentleman behind the counter told us that they have been open about 7 months and that in addition to being a cafe, they also serve as a catering station for their other restaurants, Zafra and Cucharamama.

We grab a little table outside and wait for our food.
Our sandwich comes out on an unassuming wicker plate. Iced coffee arrives in a plastic container to take to go, but we noticed that it looks more like slushy than an iced coffee... YUM!

The sandwich was awesome. Crispy bread and buttery eggs and potatoes with cheese and just a little of black bean spread. We were both surprised at how good it was - after all it was just a sandwich!

The place carries an impressive selection of gourmet Mexican chocolates for cooking, plus cheese, plates and a wallet friendly dinner meal, which they call "La Completa"  with 4 selections that change daily for just $11.

I would definitely recommend that you check this place out - albeit for a snack or a meal. I'll be back soon to try La Completa along with some merengues that caught my eye.

Ultramarinos is located adjacent to Zafra's at 269 3rd street. near Willow Avenue.

Website: www.ultramarinos.biz

1 comment: