Welcome to My Blog! Please feel free to email me @ karinaabadnj@gmail.com

Friday, April 10, 2009

Hoboken Is Sending Pink Slips!

Driving to my office this morning I heard on 1010 wins radio that six Hoboken police officers were being laid off. I just saw channel 7 interviewing a pedestrian as well looking for a reaction to the move.
While I have the highest regard and respect for all of the men and women that serve us in our police, fire and military sectors I believe this was probably a good move for the city.
1010 Wins aired reactions from the city spokespeople whose names I did not catch, however I just read a statement from councilwoman Beth Mason.. The reaction that stuck with me was a woman saying that she denounced the move of laying off Hoboken police and that people have been complaining that there aren't enough cops on the streets and that the residents would like to see more of a presence, hinting that the move will leave Hoboken vulnerable.

Please. I myself have complained about the lack of police presence in the streets. In fact more recently I asked Alicea who is on Cammarano's ticket (mayoral candidate and councilman) how he would address the situation of a large police force however no police presence.

There is a distinction between the lack of presence and lack of police. The town has a large police force and lieutenants.. and if they aren't going to patrol the streets then the city tax payers shouldn't have to pay their full salaries. I know that sounds harsh, but I can't tell you how many times I've walked home alone, late hours of the night, all different sections of town (I've lived in 4 different Hoboken addresses) without seeing a single cop ON FOOT. Yes, on occasion I'll see a cop in a car on Washington St with his siren on harassing someone who is doubled parked trying to get a slice of pizza.. but I almost NEVER see cops driving in between town, cross town or anywhere else for that matter.

So when I complained that there needs to be more of a presence I meant that the cops that are sitting in their cars and in the department doing paper work I'm assuming, need to be out on the streets on foot patrol protecting the residents, and many share my sentiments.

It isn't fair that Hoboken has had to swallow a 47% tax increase, layoffs are bad for everyone and many Hoboken residents are without a job currently, but no one is immune. When things are tough the tough get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment